Sometimes dinner ideas are simply the worst to try to come up with.
You’re on a time crunch to get dinner on the table. There is no wiggle room for kids that don’t want (or like) what you’re serving. There is definitely no room to forget the veggies because if you do, it’s bedtime and you’re done for!
That’s why we love this arroz con pollo recipe so much! It’s healthy, so delicious even (the littlest) picky eaters will enjoy it. And the best part? It’s ready in about 45 minutes (or less)!
What is Vegetarian Arroz con Pollo?
This is a Spanish dish, and in English, it simply means “rice with chicken.” If you’ve ever had paella, this is similar.
For this recipe, we’ve simply left out the chicken to make it vegetarian. We want you to be able to make this dish a little more your own if desired.
It’s a vegetarian side dish, ready to pair with your meat for dinner. You could add a soy product or tofu to replace the chicken if desired. Or you could just enjoy it as-is, for a delicious and healthy meal all on its own!
Why are we humming about this dish?
What we love the most about this recipe is how CLEAN it is. It’s obviously mostly made of vegetables, and full of color to help you hit all those different vitamins and minerals!
With the rice for a little bit of heartiness, we think this definitely falls into the category of comfort food! The mushrooms add a good source of protein. You definitely won’t miss the chicken if you’re used to the original recipe!
Many vegetable-based dishes fall short of truly feeling satisfying. This is because veggies are so full of water (hence the low calories). By increasing the fat content, you increase the feeling of satisfaction (i.e. satiety) after eating your meal. That’s why a salad is usually more satisfying (satiating) with a dressing than without!
What makes hemp oil so great?
These range from improving brain, heart, and digestive health, to helping reduce inflammation and even ease PMS symptoms! If you can get all of this from food instead of medicine, you’re doing your body a big favor!
Hemp products are considered superfoods since they contain:
- Essential fatty acids in the ideal 3:1 ratio (omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acid ratio)
- Antioxidants (Vitamin E)
- Minerals (calcium, magnesium, sulfur, potassium, and more)
All that plus a slightly nutty flavor makes for a beautiful addition to pretty much any dish!
Vegetarian Arroz con Pollo Recipe
- 1 cup white or brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 – 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 10 mushrooms sliced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1⁄2 yellow or green bell pepper sliced
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Sour cream
- Humming Hemp Oil (Garlic or Mediterranean)
- Add rice, vegetable broth, water, and diced tomatoes to a sauce pan and cook according to directions on rice packaging.
- While rice is cooking, wash and slice mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion.
- Sauté onion, pepper and mushrooms in your favorite large fry pan with 2 Tbsp olive oil until crisp tender.
- Add cooked rice to sauté pan; add in cumin, smoked paprika and salt to taste.
- Stir mixture lightly incorporating ingredients and seasonings.
- Warm your favorite tortillas.
- Pile on the Vegetarian Arroz con Pollo and top with sour cream.
- Drizzle on the Humming Hemp Oil & enjoy!
- We definitely recommend the Garlic or Mediterranean flavored Hemp Oil for this dish. But feel free to mix it up with your own oil flavors to try something different. Whatever suits your tastes!
- Need a little more to chew with your dinner? You might try sprinkling with hemp hearts right before serving. You’ll add a chewy and slightly nutty addition to this recipe, plus more protein!
- The total time for this recipe is about 45 minutes, all-in. Try making the rice the day before so you can just sauté the veggies and toss it all together. Perfect for those seriously time-crunched nights!
Looking for more vegetarian dishes with hemp?
Try some of these delicious recipes to start adding more hemp power into your meals!
Where To Buy Hemp Products
If you loved this dish, show us your plate and tag @humminghemp or #humminghemp on Instagram so we can see it! Happy Humming!