By Related Press
(AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Kirsten Gillibrand has a plan to legalize marijuana and expunge all nonviolent felony expenses related to it.
The New York senator stated in a Medium submit this week that she’d work with Congress to decriminalize leisure marijuana use and tax nonprescription marijuana merchandise. She desires to make sure entry to medical marijuana is roofed by non-public medical health insurance plans and by federal applications together with Medicare, Medicaid and Division of Veterans Affairs well being applications.
Gillibrand stated she desires to make use of the proceeds to assist job coaching and different applications for communities “disproportionately harmed by marijuana legal guidelines,” particularly serving to small companies owned by girls and minorities. She’s additionally broaden medical marijuana analysis, saying it “might help fight our opioid habit epidemic” and deal with veterans’ psychological and bodily well being issues.
The Medium submit states that the plan contains to:
- Set up a nationwide course of to make marijuana manufacturing and consumption clear, secure, and sustainable
- Expunge all non-violent marijuana convictions
- Spend money on analysis for medicinal purposes, and require protection for medical marijuana in all medical health insurance plans, together with Medicare, Medicaid, and the VA
- Legalize and tax leisure marijuana nationwide, and direct income in direction of applications that assist restore the harm finished by the Warfare on Medicine
- Normalize cannabis companies’ tax remedy and permit entry to the banking system
- Create fairness for small enterprise funding within the cannabis trade, lifting up communities which have been most damage by marijuana legal guidelines
Gillibrand launched her 2020 presidential marketing campaign in March.
AP Photograph/Charlie Neibergall